Facilitator(s): Cathy Kawakami, CPDLT
220 Belgatos Road
Los Gatos, CA
Cathy Kawakami is a Certified Positive Discipline Trainer in parenting, classroom and early childhood education and has been offering school training and facilitating Positive Discipline workshops for over 9 years. She also offers Positive Discipline coaching to families and educators who are striving to incorporate the philosophy into their lives. She is the owner of Middle Ground Parenting based in San Jose, CA and has additional expertise in early childhood education and working with parent participation schools. Her best teachers have been her husband and two teenage daughters.
This two-day interactive workshop is designed for early childhood educators, teachers, and caregivers who work with children from birth to six years of age. (Parents will also find this workshop helpful; however, the focus is on early childhood education.) Participants will learn to apply the principles and tools of Positive Discipline, an Adlerian research-based philosophy, to working with groups of young children. They will also gain a deeper understanding of how young children learn, the importance of belonging and social and emotional learning, and how best to teach those skills in a classroom or care setting. Participants will earn recognition as Certified Positive Discipline Early Childhood Educators and will learn to:
- Create a classroom or care setting where children can develop a sense of belonging and significance based on the importance of contribution and mutual respect.
- Understand how young children learn and how to adapt teaching to the needs of this age group.
- Foster essential social and emotional skills to support development and school readiness and to understand behavior and how to guide it in groups of young children.
- Teach the essential skills for developmentally appropriate participation in class meetings.
- Learn Positive Discipline and Adlerian concepts for use in the classroom, preschool community, and with parents.
Cost: $375 early registration, available until February 1, 2019. $425 regular registration. Four (4) or more registering together take $50 off the fee. Limit 24.
Cathy Kawakami, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408-314-9035
Special needs/accommodations: If you have any special accommodation needs, please contact Cathy Kawakami, email@example.com, in advance.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Workshop Registrations: A full refund (minus a $35 processing fee) will be given when the request for a refund is made up to 30 days prior to the first day of a workshop. Refunds are not available for cancellations less than 30 days before a workshop. However, paid registrants can transfer to another workshop within one year at no additional cost. Refunds are not available after a transfer is made or if you do not provide advanced notice that you will not be attending the workshop.
In the event of cancellation, participants will be notified by email.